Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Scrappy Quilt Done!

Sorry for the short post without any pics. I'll post another tonight with some.

Last night I finished sewing the binding on the scrappy quilt. I spent several hours Sunday afternoon stippling it. By the end, my wrists H.U.R.T.! Does this happen to all of you? I'm assuming so - is there something you can suggest to make it less stressful on my wrists? I guess I should try to do the quilting in shifts, but when I get going I don't wanna stop! :)

I decided to use purple thread to quilt for a few reasons:

1. I had it on hand and knew I have enough
2. It's a scrappy quilt with so many colors in it already, so why not?
3. The backing is Kona plumberry - a bright fuschia color - and the purple quilting looks awesome on it
4. I wanted to see my stippling so I could measure how good (or not so good) I am getting at it

I have to say I think I'm getting the hang of it. I have a lot more curves than points (I'll show you want I mean tonight) and my stitch length is getting more consistent. The thing I have to work on now is having a plan as to how the quilting should look in the end, i.e. less totally random wanderings around the quilt and more planned wanderings that look random but aren't. Does that make any sense?

For the binding I used craps of binding that I had on hand. I figured it was appropriate since it IS a scrappy quilt, right? I love how it has come together and I like it more now than I did when just the top was complete. The stippling and the binding have truly made the quilt. It looks so flat and even.

Yay for me I had less mistakes learning experiences with this go around.

1. I had the backing fold under only once on an edge! Go me. It wasn't so bad, either, since I caught it early.
2. I had to clean the sewing machine towards the end again since it started that lovely skipping stitches/ bad tension thing. I was prepared for it this time so it was less of a pain to do.

That's it! I don't have any folds on the backing at all. I didn't burn anything, or prick my finger while putting on the binding. Awesome, awesome, and awesome!

I want to take pics before I wash it and after so I'll post them all for you to see. It looks so good right now I almost don't want to wash it.

No comments: